Thursday, June 5, 2008

My new job...




Who knew that having a baby would cause one to become a little anxious about everything: a weird sneeze...must be whooping cough; a strange bump at the back of her neck...must be a cancerous cell; slightly choking while trying to eat solid foods...airway must be totally blocked. This continues day after day. I am faced with another seemingly small event, but in the heat of it all it is as if time has stopped and the world is on my shoulders. I mean really, what was God thinking when He allowed ME to be responsible for another person's well-being???

Then I remember...He didn't. I am humbled day in and day out that God alone is in control of Emmy's life (as well as my own) and I simply get to ride along. Now that doesn't mean I sit back and trust "nature" to take its course. No, I believe God gave us the capability to think and act in order to ensure our children are taken care of. If I am afraid of Emmy choking or her heart stopping, then I will go take an infant CPR course in order to be better prepared in the event those things should ever happen. If I see a weird rash on her leg, I don't sit back and say, "No problem, God knows about that and will take care of it." I have the ability to pray about it, call the pediatrician, ask other moms if they have seen something similar, etc.

My point being, I can get overwhelmed by the needs of my little one and just the idea of things going wrong (picturing her falling out of my arms into a crocodile pond...). That is when I need to step back and allow God to remind me of His faithfulness and goodness. That doesn't mean He will always work things out the way I want him to, but it does mean I can sleep better at night knowing there is someone in charge far more powerful than I. So if I call you with some silly question, have patience with me and know I am still learning how to trust God in all things. In fact, don't we all have to be reminded of that at times?

2 comments:

Jan said...

yes, we do have to be reminded. You'll have to remind me regularly!

The Kac's said...

Emmy is just precious! God is so good!
-Emily