I've had several conversations with friends recently about our struggles as women with this idea of true beauty. What defines a woman as beautiful? Is it as the world defines it, our Christian culture, our own ideas? Even as godly women, we hold a standard (if we're totally honest) that dictates how we dress, do our hair, etc. and (unfortunately) how we view other women (yuck!) My heart aches for Emmy as she will be faced with a world that screams at her daily with conflicting images of beauty. I wish I could keep her blissfully ignorant, as she is now, as she flaunts her chubby thighs and super beer-belly with total abandon. My utter prayer is that she would care more about loving Christ than about how she measures up in terms of her outward appearance. Please pray for me as I struggle to be the example she needs: may I focus more on leaving a legacy of true beauty- a compassionate heart, a thankful attitude, a giving spirit, and a life that is lived out to glorify God in everything. Sounds too big to handle. Praise God that He alone is our strength!
"The king is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord." Psalm 45:11
On a lighter note: Emmy is a fiend behind the "wheel" of her walker...She walks across the room and then turns around to see if you're watching. Such a ham!
7 years ago
4 comments:
Katie - I can't think of a more beautiful woman than you to be an example for Emmy of Christ. I miss you and LOVE keeping up with you via blog!
This very subject had been really heavy on my heart lately. Emmy is so lucky to have a mommy who is beautiful on the inside and out to teach her about beauty through the eyes of our King! :)
Hiya,
Everyone and everything is beautiful. What enables me to internalize this and live this (versus just thinking and accepting it) is the fact that we are all constructed out of the same stuff, made by the same Creator. A friend simplified it down to this: we are all made out of the same sheet of yummy, wonderful cookie dough, yet during the process of creation, our chips fall at different spots and our level of crispiness varies, make each uniquely divine. We are just big chocolate chip cookies! Yummmmm.
Life is delicious.
With love,
Jenny
Dear Emmy,
I would really like to see some new pictures of you. I love looking at pictures of other babies on the computer with my mommy. Could you ask your mommy to put some up when she gets a chance? You are so pretty.
Love,
Tommy
Post a Comment