Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Swimming lessons!


Emmy is on her way to being a certified aquatics princess. The YMCA holds classes for all ages and we were so excited to introduce her to a much larger version of her bathtub, which she loves. The minute we got in the pool she was all giggles and her eyes were as big as saucers. She has been "swimming" before: last summer at the Dripping Springs community pool and the beach in North Carolina. But this was her first chance to get real coaching tips from the professionals!
We joined her friends Nate and Gracie. Nate and Gracie are going to be celebrating their one year birthdays soon...and they both have more hair than Emmy...hmmm. Here we are waiting to receive our instructions before class. (I guess these could count as Cletus' first lessons also)
I don't know if you can tell how excited Gracie is about her swim lessons! Jan and I were pretty stoked as well. I loved feeling weightless for 40 minutes. I think I need to hang out in pools more often as we count down to Cletus's arrival!

She did not particularly like floating on her back. I think she has some trust issues...
This was her favorite part of the whole lesson- JUMPING! We were supposed to show our babies how to get up on the side of the pool, count to three and then have them jump into our arms. I was pretty skeptical at first but she loved it! Her jump was more like a tiny step, but I was still really proud of her for coming into the water without me holding her. So fun!

4 comments:

Adrienne said...

I'm impressed that Emmy likes the pool that much and that you can wear a bikini while pregnant. Our first several swim lessons were spent bossing the other kids around from the side of the pool but not getting in. And then there was the fact that my bikini looked pretty obscene starting from 28 weeks ish. Oh and don't worry about the hair...I was hoping Tommy would get David's think, wavy hair but no, no. The thin Dreher hair has prevailed.

Jan said...

I thought it was hilarious that I was supposed to be teaching Gracie how to climb out of the pool and then jump. It was all I could do to get her to extend her legs and stand up on the side of the pool. She just wanted to stay in frog position the whole time.

Brenda said...

Looks like fun!!! Too bad we couldn't have done this with you. Stinky age limits :(

Anonymous said...

So cute! My favorite is the one with Emmy floating on her back. I totally support these little kid swimming classes, because now the chances are slim that she'll be the girl holding her nose while going under water at the age of 24. I don't have anyone specific in mind...but I'm sure there's someone out there who still doesn't understand the concept of taking a breath after a few strokes.